Congratulations on deciding to hold your wedding in Costa Rica! The very first thing you should consider is whether or not you would like a wedding planner. If you would like to hire a planner then the very beginning of the wedding planning process is the time to do so because you’ll want their help to through every step.
A wedding planner who lives in Costa Rica year-round and is experienced at throwing events and weddings in the town you are considering will be an indispensable asset. They will have connections to the best vendors in the area and receive better pricing than you can negotiate. Although a large expense upfront, a wedding planner is worth every penny in the long run!
Here are some things you should consider when hiring a wedding planner in Costa Rica:
1. How long have they been planning weddings?
Check out their about me page. How long have they been planning events in general and how long in Costa Rica? You’ll want to make sure they have at the very least one year of experience planning weddings in Costa Rica.
2. Do they speak Spanish? How good is their English?
You’ll need someone with English and Spanish fluency representing you. Make sure they speak English perfectly because you will be communicating intricate details with them day-to-day. The planner will also need to have great Spanish to make sure when they are expressing your vision to your venue and vendors so that nothing gets lost in translation.
3. Where are they from?
Check out their background. Are they from the same country as you? Have they lived in your country? If not, do they have thorough experience planning weddings from your culture? You’ll want to make sure they are familiar with all of the cultural traditions that you and your guests are familiar with. The style, trends, and traditions of weddings in Costa Rica are very different from those in the US and Canada.
4. Do they live in Costa Rica?
You’ll want to find someone who lives in Costa Rica full-time. Even better if they live in the exact area where you want to get married. If they do, they’ll personally know all of the vendors you are considering.
Tamarindo Beach Costa Rica Light Sand
5. Do you connect with their design style?
It is important that you connect with their design style. Take a look through their blog, Instagram, and Facebook. See if their style matches with yours and if they have created weddings with a similar theme and design aesthetic to the one that you are envisioning.
6. Is the welcome dinner/rehearsal dinner planning a separate fee?
Often this is an additional expense since it is considered to be two events.
7. Do you vibe with their style of communication?
You’ll be speaking with them for a whole year so make sure you like the way they express their advice.
8. What means do they use to communicate?
Ask the wedding planner what their preferred way to communicate is. Do they prefer phone calls and email? Do they have an online project management software? Find out if their work hours and the means they use to plan fit well with your lifestyle.
- Ready to create your budget? Download the free Costa Rica Wedding Budget Worksheet!
- Curious what the next steps are after you settle the budget? Check them out in the Top 8 Steps To Jumpstarting The Wedding Planning.
- Trying to avoid rain on your wedding day? Learn about Costa Rica’s rainy season and dry season.
- Want to know the exact costs you should budget for the floral, decor, food, alcohol, and everything else? Read What You Need To Know About The Cost Of A Costa Rica Wedding.